Saturday 6 September 2014

Messenger bag tutorial


Messenger bag tutorial
For this tutorial I used a mans shirt that I found in a charity shop. When I drew out the pattern I took into account where the pockets and details were on the shirt as I wanted to incorporate them into the design. You could always just buy your own fabric
pattern pieces
You will need :
Shirt or fabric approx 1 mtr
lining approx 1 mtr
interfacing firm 1 mtr
webbing for strap
fastener


  • decide on the dimensions you want your bag to be. I wanted to be able to fit my A4 book inside. Using these add your seam allowance and cut out the pattern pieces.
  • Cut out as per pattern above. You will need to cut interfacing to stiffen the fabric and give it structure.
  • If not cutting from one piece of fabric do all the joins first.
  • iron or sew interfacing to bag pieces.
  • Sew flap and flap facing together RS together.
Bag body pieces added together
Interfacing added

Sewing flap and flap facing together

  • Sew flap to bag body.
  • Sew sides together.
  • Add strap, you can make this adjustable or as I did with this bag measure required length and use a fixed piece of webbing for the strap.
  • Made lining in same way.
Adding a pocket to the lining

Lining joined to the bag

  • Sew lining to flap facing.
  • Place lining inside bag and pin to bag body, top stitch together.
I added an extra piece of fabric to inner to fasten a clip to bag


  • Add the fastening to your bag.
The finished bag

  • Enjoy your new bag

No comments:

Post a Comment